My 10 Favorite Fictional Grandmas + Happy Birthday to my Gramma!!



From Westeros to the Wizarding World and ancient China to one of the most aristocratic family's in England in honor of my Gramma's birthday month, I've gathered together my favorite fictional Grandmas.

These badass matriarchs have more than left their mark on the pop culture landscape, proving that with great age comes great sass and style. 




1. Lady Olenna Tyrell 
In Game of Thrones, The House Tyrell matriarch keeps her blundering son Mace in line and goes to impressive lengths to keep her family — most especially her granddaughter Margaery safe. Without hesitation The Queen of Thorns generously seasons Lannister heir Joffrey’s wedding dinner with poison, giving us one of the most grotesque, graphic and satisfying deaths in Game of Thrones. Then to add insult to injury, after Jaime Lannister gives the Dowager Lady of Highgarden a painless poison death, she admits after downing the entire goblet that she was the one who killed Joffrey. Even seconds from death she proved that she could really stick it to the Lannisters. 



2. Lady Violet Crowley
Oh, Dame Maggie Smith. Her acerbic turn as Downton Abbey’s matriarch is legendary. A dignified and quotable badass, Lady Violet has no qualms about telling it like it is. Wielding her wickedly hilarious wit against both her family and the people who irk Downton Abbey’s Dowager Countess is famous for throwing shade like "Don't be defeatist, dear, it's very middle class."  one moment and “First electricity, now telephones. Sometimes I feel as if I’m living in an H.G. Wells novel.” the next. Lady Violet is who all of us want to be when we grow up.



3. Grandma Fa
Even though she’s a secondary character in Disney’s Mulan, the titular heroine’s wisecracking and eccentric grandma is a key part of her journey and has some of the most hilarious one liners in any Disney movie. Period. Who doesn’t remember the moment she snarks about the matchmaker’s attitude and then later, at the end of the film upon Mulan’s return remarks “Great. She brings home a sword. If you ask me, she should've brought home a man.” only to change her tune when hunky general Li Shang steps into the frame with an enthusiastic, “Whoo! Sign me up for the next war.”



4. Augusta Longbottom
Forgetful and sensitive Neville Longbottom speaks about his posh and no-nonsense Gran on many occasions in the Harry Potter series. Spectacularly stubborn and sharp as a tack, Augusta has a fierce love for her grandson and firmly supports Dumbledore and Harry Potter’s allegations about Voldemort’s return. Her fashion choices may be questionable (stuffed vulture hat say whaaat) but she’s no fool about wizarding world politics. Augusta recognized the Daily Prophet’s fake news and corruption long before others were willing to admit and accept that.


5. Aggie Cromwell 
In the spirit of Halloween (because October is Halloween. Yes. I celebrate the whole month. FIGHT ME.) it’s my favorite witchy grandma! Debbie Reynolds’ performance as the Cromwell matriarch in Disney's classic Halloween Town always made me so happy as a kid. Even now as a grown ass adult woman I can’t stop smiling when I see Grandma Aggie doting on and showering her grandkiddos with candy, hugs, and kisses. As if that weren’t enough Grandma Aggie rocks a wildly camp-chic witchy wardrobe and is brimming with unbridled creativity and enthusiasm. If the feeling of warm, cozy, hug were personified it’d be in the form of Aggie Cromwell!  


6. Gramma Tala 
Moana’s wise Gramma is known for her playful personality and her deep love for the island of Motunui and her people. She’s a little eccentric, unabashedly getting her groove on dancing with the “mischievous” ocean waves but she owns it. The esteemed elder is responsible for keeping the oral tradition of the legends, lore, and history of her people going, and giving Moana invaluable guidance. Without Gramma Tala’s blessing and encouragement, Moana may not have plucked up her courage to voyage beyond the confines of her island to reunite Te Fiti with her heart stone. If that didn’t get you misty-eyed, then her re-emergence at the end of the film, in spirit form, will. I’m not crying, you’re crying! 



7. Emily Gilmore
I KNOW. Emily is polarizing as hell amongst Gilmore Girls fans. The wealthy and elitist Gilmore is known for her blunt honesty, scathing words, and stubbornness. But she’s also one of Rory’s greatest champions. She unconditionally and deeply loves her granddaughter -- paying for both her prestigious (and expensive AF) highschool and ivy league college tuitions, and then taking Rory in when she screws up big time (as in, getting arrested, and dropping out of university) without a second thought. And, let’s be real, who else could we count on for firing off zingers like "Young Man, I don't know where that's been, but I can say with absolute certainty it won't be going anywhere near my mouth." when she’s pulled over by a cop who demands she take a breathalyzer test. 


8. That Viking Lady from How to Train Your Dragon 
Although she’s never named in the movie, Gothi, a little old woman with a hunched back and two chunky gray braids is one of the most important side characters in the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy. Stay with me here. The esteemed Elder of Berk, Gothi is staff-wielding seer who is also adept at healing, and, most likely midwifery. Her greatest role in the village though is to oversee Berk’s many rituals, like choosing promising new Vikings, and officiating weddings. She may be a woman of few words but the ripple effects of her actions ultimately saved Berk multiple times. And ok, maybe we never see her grandkids, but we can all agree Gothi is someone’s badass Viking granny. 


9. Queen Clarisse Renaldi 
Elegant, intelligent and unafraid to speak her mind, Queen Clarisse is the benevolent ruler of Genovia in The Princess Diaries. Portrayed by Julie Andrews in the film adaptations Clarisse holds her granddaughter and heir to the Genovian throne, Mia, to extremely high standards. But with good reason. She fiercely loves her granddaughter and has the utmost confidence in Mia’s abilities to become a competent Princess. Once you get past her strictness, her sweet side shines through, brighter than any sun. 


10. Gammy 
Comedy legend and Golden Girls alum Betty White steals the show in The Proposal. Sandra Bullock may be the lead actress in the 2009 rom-com, but Betty White’s feisty Grandma Annie, or, Gammy, is the real star of the show. Even ten years after the premiere of The Proposal Gammy’s scene-stealing, QWEEN, the one behind zingers like “Do you prefer Margaret or ‘Satan's Mistress’?” hasn’t lost her edge. 



Outside of Washington Irving's house-- the author of Sleepy Hollow! Actually IN Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow, NY! 


& last but never least ... 
The happiest of birthdays to my own Gramma-- an indomintable force of positivity and spirit, and a brilliantly clever warrior of a woman!

My Gramma has been with me from my diaper days to my (now) mid-twenties and I've been eternally grateful and blessed for all of the time I'm able to spend with her! An outspoken, infinitely giving, helpful, and unconditionally loving grandma and human being, she's always been there to give warm hugs, wipe tears, and take me on adventures and out of my comfort zone. She brough me to NYC for the first time when I was thirteen -- and about a million and one times after that-- introduced me to the Met and museum of Natural History, instilled the value of libraries (where I now work!) and my lifelong love of reading, and is a constant supporter of my writing. She taught me how to tie my shoes as a little girl, drive a car as a not so little girl, register to vote, and shared her own grandmother's secret recipe for Hungarian jam cookies nearly 12 years ago.

The thanks I've written here and this listicle created in her honor is the least I can do to celebrate her.

I   you Gramma. 

Outside of a preserved mansion in upstate New York! Gramma and I LOVE touring historic homes + mansions! 







Comments

  1. This is a rad post! I loooove Emily Gilmore too, there's dozens of us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment