November 2017 Uppercase Box Subscription Review



Bookish Boxes: November’s Uppercase Box is... Underwhelming


I hate to break it to you bookbabes (and bookbros) but the Uppercase Box subscription is underwhelming to say the least and to keep this as kindly worded as possible: DISAPPOINTING!


BUT first, let me bring you up to speed---Book subscription crates have been a huge hit in the young adult book community for sometime now. Anyone on Instagram and in the bookstagram community is only too aware of what’s inside these magical little parcels!!!

The most famous of these is a real hoot. When it comes to books and content it’s one that really soars, if you catch my drift. *Wink Nudge*

Harry Potter and the rest of the Hogwarts witches and wizards aren’t the only ones who get their post by owl...

Owl Crate the monthly-themed book box, ships out to muggles, pure-bloods, and half-bloods alike! Launched in March 2015 and nearing three years later, Owl Crate has become one of the most buzzed about bookish delights there is. What comes in the brown paper package is an unreleased young adult novel that’s set to be a stunner amongst the best seller lists and in critic and reviewer circles and a selection of goodies related to the title. Think, bookmarks, socks, journals, and even tote bags, necklaces, and specially created loose leaf tea, mugs and even lip balm!

I can’t help but rave about how many rad little trinkets are tucked in each cardboard box. Plenty of other rabid readers like myself post up unboxing photos and reviews on blogs, or record videos on youtube.

SOOOO. You get it. The Owl Crate hype is HUGE. But let’s be real. Is it worth it?



IS IT!?!?!?11111

As someone who’s subscribed to it over half a dozen times, I can say without hesitation. Heck YES. Or more like, HECK TO THE YAAAASSSSS. I’ve gotten some of my favourite accessories from this brilliant little box service, and books that not only are soooo geared towards my taste in books, but some titles I wouldn’t have picked up on my own or noticed otherwise.


Sooooooo, why did I decide to try out a different book box subscription service?

Because bookstafriends, I love love love to try new things!


Confession: I also did make extra money a few weeks ago from tirelessly pulling off my library assistant gig, and decided to splurge. And not just splurge, but to be IMPULSIVE about it!

I’d just started seeing the name of another book box around, Uppercase Box. 
The Expert Plan costs $23/permonth -- not including shipping-- and includes:

  • An unreleased young adult book SIGNED by the author
  • A personalized handwritten letter from the author
  • 2 “high quality book-themed items”

Midway through the second week in November Uppercase Box arrived!


Well erm… not a physical box… but a white plastic bubble mailer. I laughed, loud. And then was struck by a sudden wave of UMMM. WTF?! Where was this box I was promised?! Really, sub service, really? You charge $6.50 for shipping and send this cheapo plastic envelope!?

Ok book box --or should I say envelope- Shame, shame, shaaame! You’ve already let me down, and I haven’t even opened you yet!

BUT HEY. I’m an optimist. Wrappings are just wrappings. Scissors at the ready, and with Paco my lovebug tabby by my side I stabbed into the plastic and cut into this bad boy to see what was inside!

Annnnd found this:




Little fabric sack? CUTE. The adorable kitty? CUTER.
*feline not included in the plastic envelope 





The book is signed! In pink! But the handwritten note? Photo copied, not handwritten at all. Not the first time Uppercase books has misled me, SORRY NOT SORRY. 😅


This Moby Dick journal is WOW. I'm less salty after getting this beauty.


And those designs at the bottom of each page inside?! YAAAS.


Banish those dry, chapped, wintery lips!!! 😋

Hey look! The tea tin is full of BAGGED GENERIC STORE BRAND TEA 🤓


So I basically spent $30 for a dope whale journal, mango lip balm, and 4 generic bags of mint tea. Oh and a book that looks just ok. Solid 3 star read.


Will I be buying this again? 


Yeaaahh no. 😝 


Uppercase does the barest minimum when it comes to sending bookish joy to my door. My reaction was legit: this is IT?! 

But don't just take my word for it: I’ll let the rest of you judge this for yourselves.

From now on, when I want to splurge ( treat yo' self!) I'm sticking to my fine feathered friends at Owl Crate to get my supply of fandom swag and books, books, beautiful books.

🤗

Comments

  1. What a disappointment! I do love your “dope whale journal,” but that’s a lot of money for a non-boxed “box”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. The journal was the one positive of this "bag" haha. I'm definitely not going to be buying this again. Owl Crate is going to continue being my "box" of choice. You get so much more bang for your buck, it comes in an actual cardboard box, and it has so many little one of a kind trinkets and goodies~!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts