Taking My Halloween 2019 Costume Higher Further and Faster + My Fave Captain Marvel Quotes!


Higher, Further, Faster, HALLOWEEN!

Being trash for superhero movies and comics is - much like my impressive ability to inhale enough iced tea to water a small horse on the reg-  in my nature. So when October dawned and with it all things HALLOWEEN I knew in a snap (one that didn’t wipe out half the population like a certain purple-skinned psycho POS) that I had to make my costume this year MARVELously badass. 

SQUIRREL GIRL.

Until reality roundhouse kicked me in the crotch and reminded me that while wearing Squirrel Girl’s luxurious and magnificent tail (that oh so conveniently tucks into her jeans to give her a bodacious booty) might just be a bit of a hazard at best, potentially whacking my coworkers and knocking down books, at worst it could make people associate my lewk with a furry *shudders*  

No. Me. Gusta. 

Add to that, my job working in a library with muggles galore and my eating nuts kicking butts Doreen Green lewk would go over the heads of the Literature™️ loving crowd. Geeky comic book and graphic novel lovers who are also employees are in short supply at my public library.

SO I moved on to the next badass babe with ultimate Halloween costume potential. 

Captain Marvel. Specifically Grunge Carol Danvers. 



A gray S.H.I.E.L.D. baseball cap, an olive green faux leather moto jacket, dark washed jeans, and a Nine Inch Nails tee were all I’d need to look like someone’s disaffected niece. 

A Flerken and a honey blond wig pulled it all together. 

Hitting up Poshmark, Amazon, and eBay as well as raiding my own closet was all I needed to transform myself into Grunge Carol Danvers. 

I was flooded with all the FEELS. 

It was as if I’d absorbed the blast of the Mario Kart star, the riotously rainbow invincible powerup, and was careening through the racecourse of my Halloween workday, tires screeching and ripping up the track as I ran circles ‘round the rest of the racers. 
Captain Marvel, an inspiration? You. Know. It. 



I didn’t fangirl my heart out over Captain Marvel the first time I watched the movie. In fact, confession: Goose the dashing ginger Flerken was (and still remains) my favorite part of the movie. ‘Cuz if there’s one thing I’m even more trash for than Marvel, it’s felines of all stripes. Even the extraterrestrial, tentacle-spewing variety. It’s only after reading Captain Marvel’s recent comics (oh hi there Kelly Sue DeConnick!) and watching her movie a second, third, and twenty-fourth time, I was feeling the love. The Carol Corps suddenly had a new recruit to celebrate one of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. Me

Carol’s indomitable spirit, her strong-mindedness, and her steadfast determination to do right by her morals and loved ones really speak to me. It wasn’t until Carol uttered the words, “I have nothing to prove to you” that I started to believe maybe that could be the case for me too.  Her unapologetic confidence in herself and her deep self-respect are something I admire and aspire towards achieving myself! 



So along with sharing my costume here, I’ve gathered some of my
fave Captain Marvel quotes from the movie and her comics appearances! 




1. “I have nothing to prove to you.”


2. “Oh, I'll be out of your hair as soon as I track down the Skrulls that are infiltrating your planet.”



3. “I've been fighting with one arm tied behind my back. But what happens when...I’m finally set free?”



4. “You're right. I'm only human and my name is Carol.”

5. “I'm not going to fight your war. I'm gonna end it.”





6. “This isn’t a question of what I’m not. This is a question of who I could be.”



7. “No one steals my flerken cat!”


8. “Being the best you can be…that’s doable. That’s possible for anybody if they put their mind to it.”
Ms. Marvel Vol 2 #50 





If you want to read more Captain Marvel (and Squirrel Girl!) goodness check out my articles on everything you need to know about Carol Danvers, what would happen in a Wonder Woman VS Captain Marvel superbrawl, and 10 things to love about the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl



& as always, STAY GEEKY! 
💖 Vicky 


Comments

Popular Posts